Tuesday, April 28, 2020

Podcasts

Do you ever listen to podcasts? What are your favorites? Why?

I sometimes listen to podcasts when I am doing things like laundry or cleaning. I often listen to ones where they discuss interesting things that happen in the world- big or small. It's a fun and simple way to learn without feeling like it's work.

My daughter's teacher has had their class listening to a story on a podcast while we are all working from home and then they discuss it online- writing their reactions, predictions, and connections. We have really enjoyed this process and the story. While it isn't reading, listening to a fiction story like this practices a lot of critical reading skills like visualizing and analyzing. I know this will help her with reading books as well.

You know I always encourage students to read more, and I know that is not everyone's favorite thing to do. I challenge you to try out some podcasts first, and when you find a topic, genre, or story that you really enjoy, start searching for books in that same area.

Share your favorite podcasts or podcast apps below!

The app I use is called "Podcast App" and my favorite podcast is Radiolab.

The app my daughter's class's story is on is RadioPublic and the podcast/story is called "Six Minutes".

Let me know what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment