Monday, October 13, 2014

ACPL Poetry Contest

Your teacher is making you write a poem to enter in the poetry contest. Now what? 
Well, you write a poem.

You might like writing poetry; you might not. You might not think that you can do it. If you're intimidated by the process, write a paragraph first. When you meet with me, we can build it into a poem from there. 

We've discussed the topic a few times now. It's a pretty broad topic- you can take your writing in any direction you feel comfortable as long as you can connect it back to the topic. 

I understand if you're still not "feeling it". Twenty years ago, I had a teacher make us write a poem for the poetry contest also. I didn't want to; I thought the topic was stupid. It wasn't something I wanted to write about. I did the assignment because I was told. I was not proud of my writing on the assignment. Yet- it won first place. I didn't believe in myself, but somebody recognized the quality of the work. So attempt this assignment with a positive attitude. In the end, it might not be your best writing- it might be uncomfortable because it's not what you're used to doing- but it just might be something good anyhow. 

Go ahead and be creative with "Imagine That!"- I'll help you work through any of the difficult details. 

Here's what I submitted 20 years ago:

If I Could Change the World...

...An eternal drought
would encompass the land
of blood and tears.

...Caring hearts 
would not burn
in the acid of deceit
or break
under the pressure 
of unkept promises.

...Youthful innocence
would be preserved 
from the corruption
of its predecessors.

...A child's flesh 
would remain unbruised
by the hand
overcome by scarring
rage.

...The blossom of love would flourish. 

No comments:

Post a Comment